Saturday, July 31, 2010

"Take Home More God"

I made the mistake of tuning in to the live stream last week to watch the "Divine Service" at the LCMS National Youth Gathering.  I say it was a mistake because I knew it would make me sad and angry and nauseous all at the same time.  And, it did.  Hence, the mistake. 

What I know for sure is that what I watched unfold before my eyes was NOT Lutheran.  That famous Wyneken quote I've heard President-Elect Harrison share from time to time came to mind:  "I don't know if it was from God or the devil, but it wasn't Lutheran."  It's such a shame.  Our youth deserve better.  Those in charge of organizing this ought to be ashamed of themselves.  Yeah, I said it.  They ought to be ashamed!  I mean, who in the world thought it would be even a little bit appropriate to have a dude pretending to be Jesus bantering back and forth with a pastor?  Do they really not understand how wrong that is, and on so many different levels?  Also - NEWSFLASH:  Just because you throw in a couple traditional hymns and have the pastor vest in an alb and stole does not mean that you have somehow met the minimal requirements for the "service" to be considered Lutheran.  Just sayin'!

I would go on, but I think Pastor Fisk has covered things pretty well in the following video he posted today.  This isn't about differing opinions or differing styles; it's about theology.  Filling our youth up with false teachings is just a bad idea.  Isn't it?  Anyway, here's the video:

No comments: