Monday, August 30, 2010

Vacation is Over

I spent the last couple of weeks on vacation.  Actually, it was more of a work-cation (more on that later).  It was wonderful to be back with my parish family yesterday for Divine Service.  Strange how a couple weeks away can seem so long.  As I was vesting in the sacristy before Service yesterday, it felt as though I hadn't done so in months.  Weird, that.  But, it was great to be back, and I was pleased to see so many in the House of the Lord yesterday to receive His Divine Gifts. 

During my vacation work-cation, I stayed away from the computer almost entirely, which was actually rather refreshing, although I did miss checking in on my favorite blogs and forums to see what was going on.  I spent a couple hours this morning browsing around, but there is simply no way to get all caught up on things after being away for over two weeks.  Oh well.  I'll survive. :) 

Special thanks to Pastor Jon Bakker for serving in my stead (actually, in the stead and by the command of Christ) a couple of Sundays ago (August 15) for the Feast of St. Mary, Mother of Our Lord.  It is such a blessing to know that the flock I serve is in such faithful hands when I'm away. 

Anyway, now it's back to work.  Lots to do . . .

2 comments:

Jon Bakker said...

Glad to help out - saw the Elliots yesterday at Zion, Auburn for the Installation of the new pastor there.

It's always a pleasure to serve the faithful at Peace Lutheran Church, your elders are most helpful and your organist is wonderful to work with! Welcome back to the grind, and we'll see you at the winkle (which may be moved to the 14th - watch for an email from Paul).
Pax, Jon

Rev. Thomas C. Messer, SSP said...

Jon,

I was bummed that I had to miss Pr. Hemme's Installation, but happy that we had a "delegation from Peace" in attendance. :) As for changing the Winkel, I'm a big fan of not having it the day after Labor Day. However, this year, having it the day after Labor Day would have worked much better for me, since I'll be traveling back home from my trip to St. Louis on the 14th - gonna spend the night with the Majewskis on Monday the 13th and head back home the next day. Oh well, that's how it goes, I guess. :)