Monday, August 30, 2010

SO CLOSE!

My dad and I were able to get a few rounds of golf in during the past couple of weeks.  I'm really getting tired of him beating me, but he's had my number for the past several years.  Of course, I remind him often that this is only because he gets out a lot more than I do, but he revels in getting the best of me nonetheless.  It's really annoying when I have a great round and he still gets me.  One of the rounds we played, I managed a 78.  Yeah, a 78!  One would think that this would surely be enough to score a victory.  Nope!  He shot a 74 that day.  On another occasion a while back, I had him by three strokes when making the turn and then shot a 38 on the back.  That still wasn't enough, as he played out of his head and managed a 34 on the back to get me by a stroke!  What-Ev-Er!!!  Of course, when he makes shots like the one pictured below, he's awfully hard to beat.  This was on #10 at Hidden Oaks in St. Louis, MI last week, a 170-yard par 3.  The bummer of it is that you can't see the green from the tee box, so while we knew that he had hit a nice shot, we had no idea that it was less than a foot away from a hole-in-one, something that neither of us have been able to accomplish to date - someday! 

2 comments:

Scott Diekmann said...

Remind me not to play golf with you!

Rev. Thomas C. Messer, SSP said...

Nah, Scott, I'm just a hacker. I can shoot a 78 one day and somewhere in the 90s the next. Not getting out regularly does not a consistent golfer make. :)