Wednesday, February 3, 2010

First thoughts on President Kieschnick's book

CPH just released a book written by LCMS President Jerry Kieschnick titled, "Waking the Sleeping Giant:  The Birth, Growth, Decline, and Rebirth of An American Church."  I received my copy today and started reading it.  I am currently 125 pages into the 197-page book (excluding the Appendices) and I am more than a little unimpressed.  It is even more shallow than I anticipated.  I keep waiting for President Kieschnick to say something, but he doesn't.  Well, maybe that's not fair.  He does say stuff - but it's nothing we haven't already heard many times before from him.  In fact, I am a little disturbed - even insulted - that much of the book is nothing more than copied-and-pasted statements the president has already made on various topics.  I'll refrain from saying more until I have finished the book, but color me unimpressed thus far.  I hope it gets better, but I have serious doubts that it will.    

3 comments:

sag said...

Sorry---I accidently posted my comment twice and then I removed both of them. What I tried to say was---Must be you didn't go home after Divine Service and watch American Idol.

meggers said...

Were you expecting much from him? Has he produced anything yet that has impressed us?

Rev. Thomas C. Messer, SSP said...

Trixie,

American Idol was on in the background as I read. :)

Meggers,

Points well taken.