Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Baptized into Christ

This past Sunday, I had the joy, privilege, and honor of baptizing my sister, Brandy, her husband, Mike, and their child, my nephew, Maximus.  The Baptisms took place Sunday afternoon, after Divine Service and Bible Study.  They had indicated their desire to be baptized and to start going to Church, which was music to my ears, and an answer to the many prayers I have uttered for them.  I recommended that we take care of getting them baptized while they were here visiting this past weekend.  After all, why delay having them receive the washing of regeneration?

They attended the Divine Service with us Sunday morning, along with my dad and my cousin, Devon.  Always a blessing to have family together in the Lord's House.  Coincidentally (or, maybe not), the sermon had much to do with the eternal benefits of being Baptized into Christ, since we were observing the Feast of the Circumcision and Name of Jesus.  After the Divine Service, Brandy and I spoke about them getting baptized after Bible Study, but I wasn't sure if they would return or not.  And when Bible Study concluded and they hadn't shown up, I thought maybe they had decided to wait.  But, as I was on my way home, they were on their way back to our church.  I actually passed them on the way, turned around, and headed back.  Sarah had texted me to let me know they were coming, but, like a dummy, I hadn't checked my phone.  Anyway, what joy that our Lord brought them to the font, washed them clean, and welcomed them into His Divine Family!

They have been Baptized into Christ.  And, I presented them with several resources to aid them in their New Life together - a copy of The Lutheran Study Bible, Luther's Small Catechism, The Lutheran Book of Prayer, God Chose You, to go with the copy of Lutheranism 101 I had given to them a while back.  I also pointed them to a congregation in their area where I know they will be well catechized, and will hear the Holy Gospel preached in its purity and have the Holy Sacraments administered according to Christ's institution.  I pray fervently that they will faithfully attend this congregation and grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, to Whom they have now been joined through the Holy Sacrament of Baptism.

A few pics:



Brandy and Mike asked Sarah and me to be Max's godparents, to which we were thrilled to agree!



2 comments:

meggers said...

Yay!!! How cool is that?!

Unknown said...

Thanks be to God!