Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Holy Monday Divine Service

I decided to do something different for Holy Week this year.  Rather than follow the Historic Propers for Holy Monday through Holy Wednesday, I put together Propers applicable to the events which occurred on each of these days.  In other words, rather than have the focus of Holy Monday be on the anointing of Jesus in Bethany, which occurred on the Saturday preceding Palm Sunday, this year our focus is on the actual events which took place on Holy Monday, namely the cursing of the fig tree and cleansing of the temple.  Likewise, with Holy Tuesday and Holy Wednesday.  We're following our Lord's journey to the Cross day by day this year:  Palm Sunday:  Triumphal Entrance into Jerusalem; Holy Monday:  Cursing of Fig Tree and Cleansing of Temple; Holy Tuesday:  Great Day of Teaching and Confrontation; Holy Wednesday:  Day of Rest and Prayer (Silent Wednesday); Judas' Arrangement to Betray Our Lord (Spy Wednesday); Holy Thursday:  Institution of the Holy Sacrament; Good Friday:  Crucifixion and Death; Holy Saturday:  Rest in the Tomb; Easter Vigil/Morning:  Glorious Resurrection

Anyway, with all that said, here is the Service bulletin used for Holy Monday, including audio of the homily I preached:

Holy Monday
18 April Anno T Domini 2011

Divine Service 3, Page 184

(Upon entering the nave, silence should be observed to allow all the opportunity to prayerfully prepare for the presence of the Lord and the reception of His gifts)

Note:  All elements of the Divine Liturgy are spoken, not chanted or sung, during our Daily Holy Week Services.  The Gloria Patri (usually found within the Introit), the Gloria in Excelsis, the Alleluia and Verse, the Offertory, and all Hymns are Omitted.
 
Confession and Absolution (pp. 184-185)

IntroitPs. 35:3, 11-12, 22; antiphon:  Ps. 35:1-2
Contend, O LORD, with those who contend with me;
     fight against those who fight against me!
Take hold of shield and buckler
     and rise for my help!
Draw the spear and javelin against my pursuers!
     Say to my soul, “I am your salvation!”
Malicious witnesses rise up;
     they ask me of things that I do not know.
They repay me evil for good;
     my soul is bereft.
You have seen, O LORD; be not silent!
     O Lord, be not far from me!
Contend, O LORD, with those who contend with me;
     fight against those who fight against me!
Take hold of shield and buckler
     and rise for my help!

Kyrie (p. 186)

Salutation and Collect of the Day (p. 189)
Almighty God, grant that in the midst of our failures and weaknesses we may be restored through the passion and intercession of Your only-begotten Son, who lives and reigns with You and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.

Old Testament Reading:  Jeremiah 7:1-15
1The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD2“Stand in the gate of the LORD's house, and proclaim there this word, and say, Hear the word of the LORD, all you men of Judah who enter these gates to worship the LORD3Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Amend your ways and your deeds, and I will let you dwell in this place.  4Do not trust in these deceptive words: ‘This is the temple of the LORD, the temple of the LORD, the temple of the LORD.’
5 “For if you truly amend your ways and your deeds, if you truly execute justice one with another, 6if you do not oppress the sojourner, the fatherless, or the widow, or shed innocent blood in this place, and if you do not go after other gods to your own harm, 7then I will let you dwell in this place, in the land that I gave of old to your fathers forever.
8“Behold, you trust in deceptive words to no avail.  9Will you steal, murder, commit adultery, swear falsely, make offerings to Baal, and go after other gods that you have not known, 10and then come and stand before me in this house, which is called by my name, and say, ‘We are delivered!’—only to go on doing all these abominations?  11Has this house, which is called by my name, become a den of robbers in your eyes?  Behold, I myself have seen it, declares the LORD12Go now to my place that was in Shiloh, where I made my name dwell at first, and see what I did to it because of the evil of my people Israel.  13And now, because you have done all these things, declares the LORD, and when I spoke to you persistently you did not listen, and when I called you, you did not answer,  14therefore I will do to the house that is called by my name, and in which you trust, and to the place that I gave to you and to your fathers, as I did to Shiloh.  15And I will cast you out of my sight, as I cast out all your kinsmen, all the offspring of Ephraim.

Gradual:  Ps. 35:23, 3
Awake and rouse yourself for my vindication,
     for my cause, my God and my LORD!
Draw the spear and javelin against my pursuers!
     Say to my soul, “I am your salvation!”

Epistle:  Hebrews 12:18-29
18For you have not come to what may be touched, a blazing fire and darkness and gloom and a tempest 19and the sound of a trumpet and a voice whose words made the hearers beg that no further messages be spoken to them.  20For they could not endure the order that was given, “If even a beast touches the mountain, it shall be stoned.”  21Indeed, so terrifying was the sight that Moses said, “I tremble with fear.”  22But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering, 23and to the assembly of the firstborn who are enrolled in heaven, and to God, the judge of all, and to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.
25See that you do not refuse him who is speaking. For if they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, much less will we escape if we reject him who warns from heaven.  26At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, “Yet once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens.”  27This phrase, “Yet once more,” indicates the removal of things that are shaken—that is, things that have been made—in order that the things that cannot be shaken may remain.  28Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe, 29for our God is a consuming fire.

Holy Gospel:  Mark 11:12-19
12On the following day, when they came from Bethany, [Jesus] was hungry.  13And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs.  14And he said to it, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard it.
15And they came to Jerusalem.  And he entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold and those who bought in the temple, and he overturned the tables of the money-changers and the seats of those who sold pigeons.  16And he would not allow anyone to carry anything through the temple.  17And he was teaching them and saying to them, “Is it not written, ‘My house shall be called a house of prayer for all the nations’? But you have made it a den of robbers.”  18And the chief priests and the scribes heard it and were seeking a way to destroy him, for they feared him, because all the crowd was astonished at his teaching.  19And when evening came they went out of the city.

Apostles’ Creed (p. 192)

Homily

Offerings are not gathered during Service this morning.  If you would like to leave an offering, you may place it in the plate on your way out of the nave following Service.  While Pastor Messer prepares the altar for the Holy Supper, you may spend time prayerfully preparing to receive the Blessed Sacrament (you may wish to read through Luther’s “Christian Questions . . .” on pp. 329-330). 

Prayer of the Church
P  Lord, in Your mercy,
C  hear our prayer.

Preface - Agnus Dei (pp. 194-199)

Distribution (Communicants are to be in full confessional fellowship with the LCMS)

Nunc Dimittis - Benediction (pp. 199-202)
(NOTE: The Nunc Dimittis ends with the word “Israel,” as the Gloria Patri is omitted)

The Congregation Departs in Silence

Soli Deo Gloria!

No comments: