Friday, September 17, 2010

What Up Wit Dat?!

Frank Gillespie, over at Putting Out the Fire, asks, "When Did We Stop Praying for Pastors?"  Yeah, what's up with that?  Pastors need prayers, too.  LOTS of prayers, believe me!  It does seem very odd that there are no prayers for pastors in the "Prayers, Intercessions, and Thanksgivings" section of our hymnal.  But, Frank's right.  There's not.  I just looked.  Not that I didn't believe him, but I just found it shocking and had to check for myself.  I hadn't picked up on that before.  Interesting.  And weird.  And kinda sad.  I'd love to hear the explanation for this from someone "in the know."      

2 comments:

Logan said...

Pastor,

Reason # 243 why I think TLH is far superior than LSB.-I digress. Lutheran Book of Prayer has intercessions for Pastors and church workers.
Nice work of directing the readers attention to Mr. Gillespie mentioning October being Pastor Appreciation Month. I hope your congregation members celebrate accordingly.
Logan

Rev. Thomas C. Messer, SSP said...

Logan,

While I am a big TLH fan, I think LSB surpasses it in many ways. But, I digress, too. :)

Directing the attention of readers to October being Pastor Appreciation Month really hadn't crossed my mind, but I do pray that all faithful pastors would be as blessed as I am with members who are lovingly appreciative and generously supportive. Of course, I'll have to dust off my TLH to find a couple prayers to utter for those pastors. :)