Saturday, September 19, 2009

Pastor's prayer on Saturday evening

O God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, my Lord and my God, I humbly pray You to pardon all my sins.  Look not upon my unworthiness but upon Your great mercy, by which You have appointed me to be Your ambassador in Christ's stead.  Put Your Word in my mouth and tomorrow speak with my tongue.  Bring forth fruit through me, Your unworthy servant, and let not the preaching of Your Word be without effect among us.  May all that I utter be in accord with Your Word and the confession of Your Church, that Your name may be glorified, Your congregation truly awakened, and thus, through me, Your unworthy servant, Your Church be edified.

As You inhabited the praises of Israel, dwell in the praises of this our Church.  Let the sacrifice of our praise be acceptable to You, and preserve us from insincerity and thoughtless worship.

Incline Your ear to our prayer, O God of Jacob; hear the voice of our supplications and help us.

Preserve unto us Your holy Word that it may be joyfully and boldly proclaimed in its purity, and guard us in the right use of the Sacrament in accord with the institution of Jesus Christ, our Savior.  Restrain all who would destroy us and turn them to Yourself.

Be our God and our children's God, now and henceforth, and hear my prayer, O Father, for the sake of Your dear Son, Jesus Christ, our blessed Savior, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, the Comforter divine.  Amen.  (Lutheran Service Book:  Pastoral Care Companion, p. xix)

No comments: